• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Hi guys, I am new in here but not new with honda. Need some help. Just a month ago got ep3 typer r and I have a problem with jerking or how to explaine, its kind like a lag starts, very hard to drive on the town then there is jam. So driving 1 2 3 some times 4 gear in about 2-3 k rmp if slowly puching accelaration its starts jerking but if you push hard every think is ok. Does any one had this problem? I hope its nothing important and not expensive to fix it. But if I will not found whats wrong then is the honda service one chance to found it..

Sorry for misstakes I am not that good in writing :)

#2 OFFLINE   TiHKaL

TiHKaL

• Standard Member
  • 105 posts
  • LocationRunning from the Retards....before I catch stupid

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hello welcome.

Possibly slipping clutch or a bad misfire. How many miles has it done, any modifications?

#3 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:54 PM

Clutch was changed not long time ago. it has 130k km. Yes it have aem2 air intake and exhaust, thats all. I am thinking about air and fuel mixing, or just air on low rmp not enough.. This is just my guessing.

#4 OFFLINE   TiHKaL

TiHKaL

• Standard Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I've got an EP2 and had similar symptoms. Mine was caused by a failed head gasket causing a misfire; However there are many causes for a misfire, and I'm guessing too.

#5 OFFLINE   Matt416

Matt416

Expert Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • LocationLeicestershire But in Nottingham Most Days of the week

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

is EML light on? could be lamba sensor

#6 OFFLINE   BB Baboonface

BB Baboonface

Experienced Plonker

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • LocationChesterfield Derbyshire

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

If you can get a diagnostic code reader hooked up it should be able to find any fault codes, and hopefully lead you to the source of the problem.

I know Honda tend to charge a fair bit to check for codes, but maybe cheaper with a decent independent garage/mechanic?

Need to do something similar with my EV1, idle and temperature fine, cant see any coolant mixed with oil, but sounds rough and sometimes jerks/hesitates, so much for trusting in a full service history!  :mad:

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem, good luck.

EV Rolling, 5 doe MoFo. BOOM! db660081-94fe-43b4-be2b-8d71593b34d8_zps

"Built like a steakhouse, but handles like a bistro"

#7 OFFLINE   TiHKaL

TiHKaL

• Standard Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

The ECU will also store temporary fault codes even if the EML isn't lit.

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart89

Stuart89

• Standard Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:07 PM

Are you talking about kangaroo'ing when you try to pull away slowly and the car is 2k or under revs, it starts to lurch forward then stops, then lurchs again and stops, each time getting more aggressive. Then you just accelerate and it stops?

If so this is normal.

#9 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

There is no lights on, on the dash board. Stuar89 it kind of the same what you sad, but just when I push acceleration its going not stoping there is no problem then.
So if there could be a lot of problems then left just go to Honda service..
About not honda service garage I went there last week and still waiting for the answer because his main computer was broken and he cant tell me the problem from the code, but if he will thats going to be good news for me and for my pocket :))

By the way whats oil is best for ep? And filters oil fuel, were you all are buying? Ebay any other shop or the best get from honda?

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart89

Stuart89

• Standard Member
  • 4 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

5W-40 Fully Synthetic, any brand is ok. The best oils are the expensive ones with Ester's in them. I use this "Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40".

You can also use 5W-30 but it will burn off more easily and need to be topped up more often.

#11 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Ok thanks mate, I will keep in my mind :)

#12 OFFLINE   BB Baboonface

BB Baboonface

Experienced Plonker

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hey there Audrius, any news?

Reading around about my issues which sound similar to yours, and i am thinking it could be a throttle position sensor problem.

They are known to be problematic on the K series engine, apparently also can malfunction without any warning lights or even fault codes showing up!

Honda would replace the entire throttle body as the bolts for fixing the sensor have no conventional means of removal.

I read they can be removed with a Dremel tool, or by hacksawing a slot into the bolt head to use a screwdriver, and K-Tuned make an aftermarket replacement sensor which can be calibrated even with a standard ECU: http://www.k-tuned.c...-tps-sensor-v2/

There are others too, but i hear of issues with them!

Hope that may be of help.

#13 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Hi, first thanks for good information and help. But just before I got it the owner of the car sad me, he change that sensor 1 day before, but he is saing that maby need to adjust can be like that?
This week coming eld and filters, do going to change every think and we will see is going to be any different. He told me as well that lest time he put injectors cleaner and help for some time. So maby the system is dirty?

#14 OFFLINE   BB Baboonface

BB Baboonface

Experienced Plonker

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

It could be injectors, still a newbie to all this myself so just sharing stuff found on the net, no expert sorry!

I do remember reading that even a stock Honda TPS needs to be calibrated to produce the correct voltages at different throttle positions, if the former owner did not do this it could be the problem.

It looks a bit tricky without K-Pro, and more so if its an OEM Honda sensor, as you need to hook up a voltmeter and loosen/turn the sensor to get the correct reading before re-tightening the screws, and as above the Honda part has "smooth" heads on the screws.

Some helpful info here: http://www.superhond...voltage-239633/

#15 OFFLINE   Audrius ÄŒesonis

Audrius ÄŒesonis

• Standard Member
  • 54 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Is it save to do it? Because its looks not difficult but dangerous :) my friend told me as well to check is the car goes same on cold engine and its not, on cold seams are ok. So he had a same problem with on of crv and was spark plugs. So first need to check simple thinks and then try to do calibration and over stuff :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users