Handbrake Query

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ste0803

ste0803

• Standard Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

i bought my car at 8 year old and it had the original disks on there, so i put it into a garage to have it looked at, they quoted me for new disks and pads.

i paid this, the disks and pads were fitted, they told me it would be x amount of miles before the pads started working.

since then, i haven't been able to park on anything above 5% gradient because the handbrake just doesn't hold it.

so its going back in to the same garage to be looked at for the 3rd time relating to the brakes. last time they just tightened the cable which did nothing.

so really 2 questions

1) how strong should my handbrake be? ie should it lock the rear wheels when driving along if i yank it on (currently can cruise at 70 with the handbrake fully on without too much fuss)
2) whats the breaking percentage from the rear breaks? something like 70 30 or similar. because im thinking while my rear brakes dont work will i be using alot more of my fronts to stop than i should be?

any info would be helpful.

Thanks
Ste0803

#2 OFFLINE   James

James

Veteran Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Remove the trim around the handbrake ( just 2 screws at the back where the cup holder is ), there is an adjuster for the handbrake, loosen it as far as it will go. Start the engine, press the brake pedal a few times ( the first step on the brake should go almost to the floor as if there were no brakes ). Afterwards start thightening the handbrake adjuster until the handbrake works just fine ( set it to about 8 to 9 clicks reffering to the manual ). Go for a drive and check if the rear breaks don't keep hanging ( if so, loosen the adjuster a bit ). If fine, put the trim back on and you are done http://epcivic.com/f...tyle_emoticons/default/smile.gif

#3 OFFLINE   ste0803

ste0803

• Standard Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

i should have added, adjusting the handbrake doesn't make much if any difference. i tried doing as you suggested and it doesn't work. it still wont hold me on a hill and i think theres something wrong with the callipers or the disks and pads.

Ste0803

#4 OFFLINE   BaRnEsEy

BaRnEsEy

Forum Master

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6865 posts
  • LocationNorth East England

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

go to a different garage where they do free brake tests and see what they say as that sounds well dodgy, brakes should work from the off but they wont be as good, handbrake should still work fine if the disks and pads are changed unless the pads aint fitted properly and not touching the disk.

mine holds on any hill altho i do put it in gear if its steap to help it not to roll.

#5 OFFLINE   Gus-ep3

Gus-ep3

Vtec Junkie

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts
  • LocationBiggar

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

Hi mate.

You have to reset the callipers.
To do this you need to loosen the adjuster bolt at the handbrake lever right down till its on the last threads, then pump the footbrake quite hard 20 - 30 times, then screw the adjuster nut back up till it holds the car after about 4 - 6 clicks.

#6 OFFLINE   mooney

mooney

• Standard Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationStourbridge, West Mids

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Good advice. Just reset my rear calipers, handbrake now working fine again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users