• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Coxy

Coxy

• Standard Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

First up, this is not ROTA hate thread.

A friend of mine had ROTA Slipstreams (4-lug) on his Civic for almost 3 year now.

Me and other friends had always been worry about the welds on ROTAs (big weak-points) as other wheelmakers forge their wheels without any thought of using welds for good reasons.

Terribly, our worries came true. My friend was driving at no great speed (40-50mph) around a bend with a quite big drop on the side. The car went off the drop and seriously damaged the car and hurt my friend bad :D .

When he got out he saw both Slipstreams on the right-hand side had failed badly at the welds, causing him and the car to scrape and spin off the drop :lol: .

Unlucky, I have no pictures as he was too badly upset to look at the car again. He is recovering in hospital and will be coming home in the next days http://epcivic.com/f...tyle_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif .

I have discussed this on Italian forum and it seems it happens occassionally.
(My friend is back in Italy, where roads are like U.K roads)

Posted Image
:D :D :D The failure was like this, but two rims.

This happening has scared me badly, and I urge, please, if you own rims with welds, after spirited driving every once in a while (once/twice a year, maybe more if you like to drive faster :D ), check the welds for cracks and faults.

It is not a nice thing to happen to you, so just please be careful with ALL rims. :(

#2 OFFLINE   Gus-ep3

Gus-ep3

Vtec Junkie

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3918 posts
  • LocationBiggar

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

:wink: :lol: :) Holy f*ck!!

#3 OFFLINE   j_ho

j_ho

Veteran Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

Thats crazy man :wink: :lol:

All us with rotas need to be careful! lol

#4 OFFLINE   Coxy

Coxy

• Standard Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

I am not so sure if certain ROTA styles (more spokes, different structure, etc) with welds are safer than others.

I am concerned at how these can be approved as safe, unless however they only fail after time/wear has taken away some strength.

Either side, it is causing no harm to check and be aware that this can and has happened.

#5 OFFLINE   Deano

Deano

Expert Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

So basically he fell of the edge of the road and the rims broke. Didn't think rotas were meant for off-roading tbh, and your mate has just proved it.

#6 OFFLINE   Ep2Civic55

Ep2Civic55

Legend

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2676 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

LMAO mate ano u probs didnt mean what u said in a bad way but the picture a have in ma head now :wink: still this can happen to anyone at anytime with any sort of wheel cant just put it as rota's fault

#7 OFFLINE   Magnificent_One

Magnificent_One

Legend

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2085 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

I found this in the funny pics topic on the honda club belgium forum, didn't thought it could happen if you drive in a normal way :(
Posted Image

Posted Image

But if this could happen, i think it would happen with all rims :) if i get the chance to buy rims, it will be rotas tho :lol: :wink:

#8 OFFLINE   Coxy

Coxy

• Standard Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

So basically he fell of the edge of the road and the rims broke. Didn't think rotas were meant for off-roading tbh, and your mate has just proved it.

I mean the rims failed, which cause him to slide off the drop. If they failed after the drop, it would be his fault for sure.

Also, forged wheels will not fail in this circumstance unless they have been abused harshly, or are defective from factory (should be noticed in quality assurance checks, etc.)

It is not just ROTAs, many other welded rim may fail. Taking ROTA as one of the highest quality example of welded rims (if not the best) is ok for sure, and seeing even they may fail has opened my mind.

Given the time my friend had these rims, it seems they weakened over time, until finally going and causing big problems.

#9 OFFLINE   Deano

Deano

Expert Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:09 PM

I mean the rims failed, which cause him to slide off the drop. If they failed after the drop, it would be his fault for sure.

Also, forged wheels will not fail in this circumstance unless they have been abused harshly, or are defective from factory (should be noticed in quality assurance checks, etc.)

It is not just ROTAs, many other welded rim may fail. Taking ROTA as one of the highest quality example of welded rims (if not the best) is ok for sure, and seeing even they may fail has opened my mind.

Given the time my friend had these rims, it seems they weakened over time, until finally going and causing big problems.

When i first read it sounded like they broke after the drop. If they broke first the caused the crash thats rotas fault.
Its probably an isolated case, but it makes you wonder.

#10 OFFLINE   Jonny_H

Jonny_H

Veteran Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

so whats the situ then?

he claiming from rota? or is it going to effect his insurance

#11 OFFLINE   Deano

Deano

Expert Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

TBH for 2 rims to fail at EXACTLY the same time, is a one in billion coinsidence, so theres more to this story than meets they eye.

#12 OFFLINE   Jonny_H

Jonny_H

Veteran Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

TBH for 2 rims to fail at EXACTLY the same time, is a one in billion coinsidence, so theres more to this story than meets they eye.

TBH THIS IS A VERY GOOD SHOUT...

i dont understand how both could go at the same time, chances of that are very, very slim

#13 OFFLINE   Ep2Civic55

Ep2Civic55

Legend

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2676 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

i agree mate for 1 wheel to snap at the spokes is rare enough but for both the rear ones to go at the same time that just dosent add up :wink:

#14 OFFLINE   ross27

ross27

Veteran Member

• Standard Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:39 PM

Im not going to doubt what you say, but in alot of situations the weld can be stronger than the material itself!

That looks mental though!! :wink:

#15 OFFLINE   Coxy

Coxy

• Standard Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Im not going to doubt what you say, but in alot of situations the weld can be stronger than the material itself!

That looks mental though!! :wink:

A weld will only not be stronger than material itself if the welding was badly made (especially in this application, I will guess that ROTA use 7018 electrodes, and automated welding process (very strong/accurate). ROTAs are aluminium? so the grain structure matters a bit less.

I am waiting for word from my friend, he is now free from hospital and insurance procedures are going ahead. Currently he is not the party at fault.

The company he brought the ROTAs from are going to inspect the rims (still on the car) and so then things will be taken from that point.

He was fully insured with all mods known about, so this is not the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users